Thursday, June 11, 2009

Little Audrey by Ruth White


Little Audrey by Ruth White
Oh my, I loved this book. At 11, Audrey is the oldest of four sisters, living in a coal camp in 1948. The author shares Audrey's honest feelings as she deals with extreme poverty, an alcoholic father and a grief-stricken mother. Despite her struggles, Audrey has a hopeful spirit that shines through, even in her darkest moments. This book, based upon the author's own childhood, is a fascinating view of life in a company town, and an inspiring tribute to human resilience.
Target age: 10-14 years.

Connections:
At Home in the Heart of Appalachia, by John O'Brien (2001) (Adult)

2 comments:

  1. I'm putting this on my Goodreads list . . . and I have At Home in the Heart of Appalachia at home but have yet to read it!! It will go at the top of the list tonight . . .

    I am reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn right now - same aged heroine with similar struggles. I can't believe I went this long without reading it!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - I am putting it on my list.

    ReplyDelete